Common Maritime Injuries And What You Should Do

maritime injury
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

People who work on the sea or on the shore, also known as maritime workers, are commonly exposed to dangerous working conditions, and many workers are getting hurt as a result of this. Maritime workers that have been injured on the job can endure high medical or insurance costs, as well as have to take time off of work. Luckily, many maritime injuries are covered by law, and there’s action that you can take to get the compensation that you and your loved ones are entitled to.

Common Questions Asked About Maritime Injuries

If you or a loved one has been in a maritime accident on the job, it can be a stressful time for you and your family, and you likely have many questions. When clients come to us after a maritime accident, common questions we receive are:

  • Who qualifies as a maritime worker?
  • Which maritime injuries are covered by law?
  • What are maritime workers’ legal rights and responsibilities?
  • What should you do if you’re involved in an accident?

No matter what question you have, we are here to help you get answers, and we’d love to chat with you about your case at any time.

Types Of Maritime Workers

Maritime workers are anyone who works on or near the water. Common maritime workers include those in the offshore industry, working in oil, gas, and electric energy. In addition, military employees who work on or near the water are also maritime workers.

There are two main groups that maritime occupations fall under: land-based workers and seamen. Maritime workers who spend a significant amount of time working on a vessel as a captain or crew member that is in navigation are defined as seamen, and land-based workers include occupations like longshore workers, ship-repairers, shipbuilders, ship-breakers, and harbor construction workers.

Summary: People who work both on the sea (seamen) and on the shore (land-based workers) are considered maritime workers, and typically, maritime workers are in the industries of oil, gas, electric energy, and military.

Common Maritime Injuries That Are Covered By Law

Even though maritime work is exciting and fulfilling, maritime work injuries do occur, and they come in many shapes and sizes. In some devastating cases, death occurs. Maritime injury cases typically include:

  • Slips and falls
  • Unsafe equipment
  • Explosions
  • Collisions with other vessels
  • Defective cranes

Summary: Whether you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a maritime work accident, due to a fall, unsafe equipment, an explosion, a vessel collision, a defective crane, or something else, you deserve to get justice for your case.

What Statute Are You Covered Under?

If you’re involved in a maritime work injury, you have rights, and there’s a good chance your incident is covered by law. What statute your accident falls under depends on the job that you are in. Let’s review the most common statutes that most maritime worker injuries fall under.

Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act – The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act covers maritime workers that are injured on the job, while working on the navigable waters of the United States or in the adjoining areas, such as those used for loading, unloading, repairing, or building a vessel. Maritime occupations that are covered under the LHWCA typically include land-based workers, such as longshore workers, ship-repairers, shipbuilders, ship-breakers, and harbor construction workers.

Jones Act – The Jones Act is the statute in place to cover maritime injuries for workers who are deemed seamen. To be considered a seamen, the worker must be a crew member or captain who spends a significant amount of time on a vessel that is in navigation. To be in navigation means that the ship or boat is afloat, in operation, capable of moving, and on navigable waters.

Death on the High Seas Act – If a loved one has been a victim of a fatal maritime work accident, the Death on the High Seas Act has you covered. The Death on the High Seas Act was enacted to provide compensation for a spouse, parent(s), children, and any other financially-dependent relatives of the victim. For the death to be covered, it needs to be due to a wrongful act, neglect, or default that has occurred on the high seas and beyond 3 nautical miles from any shore of the United States.

Summary: Maritime accidents involving land-based workers are secured by the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. Maritime accidents involving seamen are covered by the Jones Act, and all maritime worker deaths due to a wrongful act, neglect, or default on the high seas beyond 3 nautical miles from the U.S. shore are covered by the Death on the High Seas Act.

What Should You Do When You Are Involved In A Maritime Injury

When you or a loved one is involved in a maritime injury, you need to contact an experienced maritime injury lawyer right away to get your case in the right hands. To contact the Houston Law Office of Aaron W. Perry, PLLC, you can simply fill out this form or chat with us by phone at (713) 393-7788.

Once we get in touch with you, we’ll start to learn about your case and get you set up for a free consultation to meet with our lawyer. We’ll start by learning about the accident that has occurred, as well as review any costs you’ve endured. We’ll figure out what you’re covered for by law and the compensation that you can expect to receive in your case. We’ll create a timeline of events, as well as any documents that you’ll need to gather for you case.

Together, we’ll take your case to court to get the justice you deserve for the burden this accident has put on you and your family’s life. We’ll be by your side throughout the whole process, answering any questions that you have at any time, and we’ll make the process as comfortable as possible, with the help of our experienced and knowledgeable team.

Summary: When you’re ready to take action on your maritime injury case, we’ll help you get started with a free consultation. We’ll begin to assess your case and make a timeline of action steps to get you the compensation you deserve.

Contact Us Now To Take Action On Your Maritime Injury Case

It only takes a minute to fill out a form or give us a call to start to review your case for you. One of our friendly and knowledgeable team members is here to get you on your way to receiving the justice you deserve for the accident that has occurred.

The law is here to help you, and we’re here to be your ally in fighting for your rights. Let us begin your case with a free consultation, and our expert maritime injury law team at the Law Firm of Aaron W. Perry, PLLC will do everything we can to fight for the justice you deserve.

Call us today at (713) 393-7788 or fill out our online form to get started now!

Phone: (713) 393-7788



4545 Bissonnet
Suite 202
Bellaire, TX 77401